Thursday, May 13, 2010

Flor Rugs

Having a pup like L. Belle has its perks.  She's so darn cute, loves to snuggle and is always good for a laugh (or 20) every single day.  Unfortnately, her soft and snuggly Golden Retriever fur as well as her darling, but perpetually muddy paws make for a bit of a dilemma in the décor department.

When we first brought her home, we had a cream slip covered couch. That was gone within maybe a month or two of her arrival. It was time to replace it anyway, and so we went ahead and splurged on a brand new leather sofa. Totally durable, indestructible and 99% dog proof. Just ask one of my sweet friends, who was just sitting back to relax with a nice glass of red wine when Ms. Belle decided she wanted all 65 lbs of her cute self up on my friend's lap. WOW.  Wine all over the place. It even got on the wall. But no sweat. I just grabbed some paper towels and a wet rag and voila. The new sofa is virtually bomb proof, I tell ya.

Not so with my jute rug. I give you Exhibit A:


Witness L. Belle relaxing on one of my first, prized décor purchases on one of her first days at home. My quaintly rustic and (in my opinion) very fabulous jute rug has not been treated particularly well by L. Belle. She chews on its fringe, chews on the “rustic” little knots, she has…ahem…used the facilities on it more than once, and even gotten a wee bit of the stomach sickness a couple of times, too. In short, the jute rug is no longer so fabulous. It’s gnawed on, worn out, and dirty. Not to mention the impossibility of cleaning in all those nooks and crannies. It’s with a heavy heart that I retire my rug and commence the search for a new one. New beginnings, right?

I’ve been searching high and low for a rug for the living room that is durable, easy to clean, stylish and affordable. I can get one or two or even three of these criteria, but hitting all four has been a challenge. I think, however, that I’ve found it at FLOR.



That’s right. Modular floor tiles you can fashion into a kind of build your own area rug.  The style above is the one I'm considering--it's even called The Finer Things. I’m thinking it could work. It’s perfect for high traffic areas, made of (recycled) nylon fibers, super easy to clean, affordable, durable…kinda looks like the jute rug, minus all the nasty dirt and if things get really…err…hairy, or stained, you can swap out a tile and replace it for a fresh and clean rug.

Here's another shot.  Not exactly the color I'd choose, but you get the idea:


What do you think? Too crazy? Or crazy enough it just might work??

UPDATE****FLOR = Not my style.  Totally reminded me of the carpet underneath my office chair...at my office.  Way too industrial for me.  Not coool.  The search continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter